http://latinmassclearwater.blogspot.com/ My Feelings Regarding the New Translation | Latin Mass Clearwater

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Feelings Regarding the New Translation

I first heard about the New Translation of the New Mass a couple years ago. Our Pastor mentioned it in passing, but there seemed to be concern on his part that it would not be an easy thing for Catholics to accept.

My thought at the time was who cares about a New Translation? So they change a few words of the Mass... no big deal.

Was I wrong. In practice, I have found the New Translation to be unnecessary and unappealing. I am afraid it will hurt the experience of the New Mass for many and perhaps even challenge their faith in a small way.

I first heard the New Translation on a Parish website, where we listened to the "Glory to God in the Highest." I was immediately disappointed. Gone was the sublime beauty and majesty of the hymn. In its place was awkward wording and a mundane musical setting.

Once the transition took place, I noticed almost all the music was affected for the worse. My young children used to sing the old hymns, but they don't sing the new uninspiring music. I look around at my fellow Parishioners, and they look bored and unaffected.

The words of the New Translation seemed unnatural and arcane. Proponents of the New Translation will say it's more accurate. But I don't see how... In most cases, the New Translation is just that... an awkward way of saying the same thing.

Let's consider a few examples:

The old:

"Through him, with him, in him."

The new:

"Through him, and with him, and in him".

The word "and" has been added. Has the meaning changed? No, in the first translation, the conjunction "and" was assumed or implied for a more poetic reading.

Or:

"The Lord be with you."

"And with also with you."

Versus:

"And with your spirit."

Since we are spiritual beings, I believe both translations say the same thing. The difference is only the unnatural wording of the "with your spirit" interpretation.

Or from the Nicene Creed:

"One in being with the father..."

Versus: "Consubstantial with the father..."

Consubstantial, from the dictionary, means: Of the same substance. So I ask, what is the difference?

Or the use of "chalice," instead of "cup." Folks, a chalice is a cup!

Or "under my roof" versus "receive you." No difference in meaning, just an idiom.

And then there is the "dew fall" line which I still don't get...


The sad outcome is I no longer enjoy the New Mass as much as I once did. My children don't participate as much. In my opinion, a crisis has been created where one did not exist. I want to have a good experience at Mass. This has been lessened by the New Translation.

What will the resolution be? If the New Mass was not right before the New Translation, why is it right now? If it is right now, then why does it sound so strange? Why is the music made poorer? Why does the whole thing not feel right?

I would never leave the Catholic Church or not attend Mass. If all I have is the New Mass with the New Translation, then I will attend. However, I have for sometime felt on an intellectual level I would like to attend the Latin Mass. Now, because of the New Translation, I will seek to attend Latin Mass rather than the New Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment